Monday, January 16, 2012

Ord Noodles #2

8205 Woodman Avenue # 104
Panorama City, Ca. 91402
(818) 782-3926
$(less than $10.00)

Ord Noodle #2 is an anti-social dive of a Thai Restaurant. Remember that kid in class who wore a cloak everyday and spoke in Tengwar avoiding all possible human contact? That's Ord Noodle #2. Ord Noodle #2 is located in a run down strip mall surrounded by a predominantly Filipino community, and still, they choose to have a sign written, for the most part, in Thai. Entering the eatery with a couple of Thai friends I find myself immediately out of place -- that's okay -- this means that there is a good chance that the food is pretty authentic.

The menu is written in Thai but the descriptions are thankfully written in English so we aren't exactly playing Russian roulette here. Aside from the language barrier I notice one other thing smacking me directly in the face, the prices, this place is fantastically inexpensive. Also, this place is cash only, be sure to stop by at your local ATM before dining.

If you've never eaten Thai food there is something we need to be absolutely clear about. Thai restaurants don't funk around when it comes to spicy food. Even if you think you can handle it, start off at a mid-level heat and work your way from that -- the other option is crying as you eat your meal. Be warned.

Boat Noodles [$6.00]
This was a first for me. Boat noodles are basically noodles, a very rich semi-spicy broth, beef, meatballs and in this case, heart, though it was advertised as tripe. Looking at the bowl put in front of me I was immediately put off, I am not very big on noodle soups, especially those which remind me of Pho. The Beef broth has a vibrant meaty flavor, combined with cilantro, Thai chilies, and a film of gravy, making every slurp ever so splendid. The beef strips were unfortunately tough and over cooked, a bit disappointing considering how impressive the broth itself is. The meatball seemed like a better choice for the soup, delicate and perfectly cooked, complimenting the broth very well. Biting into pieces of heart was a great treat. A very strong iron flavor and amazingly, in comparison to the beef, very tender. I found myself diving through the broth, armed with my spoon and chop-sticks, hunting for every heart piece.

Duck with Gravy over Rice [$6.00]

I am a big fan of duck. Unfortunately, not all kitchens are capable of doing duck justice. Ord Noodle knows what they are doing with duck. Tender pieces over basil and rice... too much rice not enough duck. The fattiness of the duck meat is cooked down very thoroughly giving it a richer, buttery, less gamy flavor. For the price, I can't really complain about the portion size, I'd be sure to tell them to ease up on the the rice for next time.

Pad Kee Mao (Drunken Noodles) with Beef [$6.00]
Pad Kee Mao has always been my dish of choice at thai restaurants. Thick, al dente flat rice noodles stir fried with basil, garlic, tomatoes, onions, chives, crushed red chilis, Thai chilis, and your choice of meat. Ord Noodle 2's  noodles are the perfect medium to carry the signature Thai heat along with the strong garlic and basil flavor of this dish. The noodles have a thicker bite to them than I am used to, which I like, making them better suited to deliver all the flavors of the dish. Again, the beef was very tough and over-cooked preventing me from fully appreciating the dish.

Tom Yum Talay [$6.00]
Tom Yum Talay is a seafood combination soup. The broth has a very deep and fresh seafood flavor, similar to richness of the Boat Noodles, and delivers an ample amount of heat. It was very much to my dismay that I didn't find very much when it came to the actual seafood in the soup. I was able to collect a couple of pieces of white fish, a scallop, and a shrimp but nothing more, it was quite disappointing.

My experience tells me that: when dining at an Asian restaurant I shouldn't expect good customer service. I mean, sure, it'd be nice for the server to make an effort to smile or talk with you but that isn't happening, so I am not going to fret -- customer service doesn't matter, especially since I am here for the food. 

For the price, Ord Noodles #2 is gem nestled in this little Filipino community. Their servings aren't huge but the flavors suffice the palate when you are in the mood for authenticity -- it's almost like eating at your mom's house, that is, if you were Thai. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis